Jude does the majority of all the work, and Jude gets all the money after paying for shipping cost!
If looking for potted Agaves, check out his Agave Potted page, or his Aloe pages!!
- Direct and intense sun/heat can bring out color hues that full shade does not. Aloe/agave colors can vary based on time of the year, temps, sunlight, watering etc.
- Agave tips get bent/broken, especially on the older outside edges naturally in life.
- As Agaves grow, you'll often trim/cut the older branches/leaves to clean up their appearance and this also allows them to fit better in containers and allows room for new pups to grow and pop out! See pics below. We often cut the tips off our decorative ones in the yard to keep our kid legs and dog noses safe. Sometimes tips get bent or broken during shipping regardless of how well we pack. We will not refund you or ship out a new Agave simply because some tips are not perfect.
- We do guarantee the Agaves to be healthy, and any blemishes will be outgrown in their future growth assuming they are happy in their new conditions!
- On dry rooted agaves, these have been growing naturally in the wild, leaves can be damaged, but again, these will be outgrown with time, can be trimmed up etc.
- Sizes can vary, we always try and send the largest and healthiest specimens but sometimes they may be smaller than pictures, sometimes larger. Agaves and aloes grow quickly during growing season, please have a little patience!
Agave – Linnaeus (1753)
- Greek: agauos = of kings and heros, illustrious, hence noble
- Over 300 species of Agave have been described, but only about 200 are currently recognised. Most species are monocarpic, although a few can flower several times during their life. The flowers are “perfect” with both male and female parts. Many species of Agave are bat pollinated and produce musky perfumes as attractants. Others produce sweeter odours to attract insects.
- Most Agaves consist of rosettes of thick, hard, rigid but succulent leaves often with marginal teeth and usually with a lethally sharp terminal spine. Prolific vegetative growth and offsetting at the base of the plant or through stolons, usually maintains a clump of plants thus compensating for loss of flowering rosettes. A few species remain solitary, relying on seed production for survival of the species.
- The interior of the leaves contains longitudinal fibres representing the vascular system. Agave leaf fibre was used by native Americans. Agave fibre from a range of species is of commercial importance, with the best quality fibre coming from the youngest leaves. Sisal (hemp) made from cultivated Agave sisalana is used to make clothing and rugs.
- Carbohydrates stored in the core of several species of Agave were fermented by native Americans to make a beverage called pulque which was used in religious ceremonies. Distillation of a similar ferment made from the developing Agave flower bud is the basis for modern production of Mezcal. Only if made from the Blue Agave within Tequila, Mexico can the distillate be called Tequila.
People Love Our Judes Agave Cuttings Pups & Dry Rooted! Have a Read:
I got the pack of 3 agaves and they were all different kinds and look amazing! I picked this agave to show you because he is already potted and has a few babies!
Magnificent! These folks know how to do business
Everything was well-packed and arrived in perfect condition. Here are a few plant-specific notes.
Regis Ferdinand 6" - In addition to the big plant, arrived with 4 healthy pups.
Blue Ember in 6" - Perfectly formed, beautiful color.
Parryi Truncata 3" - High hopes for this little guy, looks great in the yard already.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.